Saturday, July 24, 2010

Something spicy on a cold summer day




I was inspired by the German vegan cook Attila Hildmann. The recipe is from his second book "Vegan Kochbuch vol 2".

Aubergine-beans-curry (page 23): (I always modify recipes a bit to my taste and what I got.)
Ingredients:
Green beans
1 aubergine
1 red pepper
1 onion
3 minced tomatoes (I have also peeled them)
chili, garam masala, sunflower oil, coconut milk, vegetable broth

Rice (I put kurkuma in it)

Mis en place method: First I cut everything before I start cooking. I am glad that I have a rice cooker. When the rice is ready the cooker keeps it warm. One of the kitchen tools I recommend.

I put 1 cup of basmati rice and 2 cups of water in my rice cooker, a bit of salt and kurkuma. I switched it on.

So the vegetables were cut  in pieces, they were washed before I cooked the rice. Then I started cooking the vegetables. First I put the onions in my wok and fried them in the sunflower oil. When they started getting brown, I added the masala (I was generous and used 2 tablespoons). It started to smell delicious in my kitchen. Then I added all the other vegetables, also the tomatoes and soon I poured the coconut milk in the wok. We like to have sauce, so I was rather generous with it, too. I mixed everything well. This I did again from time to time. After 20 min the vegetables were soft. Ready.

Dessert:
Strawberries with soy yogurt. I marinated my strawberries with rum and sugar. This is not necessary.

Rice cooker:




2 comments:

denise said...

curcuma it's graet, has a lot of antioxidants!

Ursula said...

Yes, curcuma is very healthy. I like the color of the rice when I use it.